Saturday, June 19, 2010

Finally, some sailing

We are currently in quaint and pretty Oxford, Maryland. We left Back Creek on Wednesday but when we ran into choppy waters we decided to anchor for the night in Weems Creek. The winds the next morning were perfect for a sail to Oxford and that's exactly what we did. Using the jib only we sailed 35 miles or so and averaged four to 5 knots the whole way.

Beautiful!

We've been to the market where in addition to buying supplies, I managed to get a good bottle of wine, a couple of ice cream cones, and a used paper back book which cost a dollar and you just put the money in a can by the display.
I've also put the laundromat to good use and it's a bargain at $2.00 total for a wash and dry.

I got all worked up when I saw that the library was having a book sale and even packed an extra bag in my purse. I'll pay a little more attention to sale signs the next time because it wasn't until I arrived bright and early this morning that I noticed that it doesn't take place until September!!






This kayak went sliding by last night complete with a sheltie. Notice the dog has a summer haircut going on!









Wilbur had a chance to wade into some water and cool off.
He has difficulty with the heat and while on board I have to use the stern hose on him.












If you look closely enough you can see the heron perched this dock.
This is the first year that I've seen more than one at a time and they make a really strange screaming noise when they call out. Actually it sounds a lot like Wilbur. Wilbur can't bark because he was injured by another pit bull when he was just a few weeks old, and instead he sounds like an insane monkey. This morning when after getting up for his early morning 'constitutional' Wilbur was trying to go back to sleep. A heron let out a raucous cry and Wilbur looked up in total disgust as if to say, "Can't you see I'm trying to sleep?"
"Now you know how I feel!" I told him.

No comments:

Post a Comment