Thursday, December 15, 2016

Winter Wonderland

This past weekend Hans and I went back in time and while I wish I could say it was a 'simpler' time, it wasn't. What happened was; a polar vortex (when I was a kid we called it snow) swept through our area dumping a couple of feet of the white stuff upon us. This vortex couldn't have come at a worse time as Santa was due to make his appearance at the inn for Breakfast with Santa on Saturday morning and let me tell you when Santa is on his way there's a hell of a lot of preparation involved. This meant that on Friday night (but only after the last of the diners have gone home) all the tables in the main dining room had to be completely rearranged and prepped for the jolly man's visit (and put back to normal after the whole shebang was done).

With the dire threat of weather moving in it was decided that instead of sending us home in a blizzard only to come back a few hours later, the affected staff should spend the weekend. And that's how Hans (weekend pianist), Wilbur (wannabe dishwasher), and I (waitress) found ourselves back in the same room we lived in last year. After Santa's visit I had to change out of my elf costume (seriously) and into my uniform for a company Christmas party, so my day started at 7AM and ended around 11PM. The next morning I was up early and getting one of our small dining rooms ready for a private party due for brunch.

We weren't sure what Wilbur would think about all this but after a couple of hours he got into the swing of things. We're pretty sure he enjoyed a consistently heated room (we turn the electric heat off when we leave the house), and he loved his outside romps with Hans. Wilbur's desire to mark where other dogs have gone before him far outweighed his hatred of the cold.

So, I have to share this one story here. It was on Thursday that I called Hans telling him to go ahead and pack up our belongings and the dog and come to the inn before the snow hit the fan. Right around 2PM, seventy-eight elementary kids had just exited their 'learning manners lunch' in our main dining room when I heard (and felt) something thundering through the room.

I was stunned to realize the thunder was Wilbur.


You've no idea what it's like to unexpectedly see your dog hurl himself through your work place.

Wilbur stopped when he could go no further and then sniffed frantically at the floor. "Come to Mama," I hopefully called. He lifted his head when he heard me and then took off in the opposite direction. Luckily another delicious smell caught him up short and I was able to snag his collar. That's when I saw a perplexed Hans standing at the dining room door.

I think I lost it about then and I won't relay what I'm pretty sure I said (screamed). Anyway, Hans, in the midst of navigating the dog and our belongings to our room, let Wilbur off his leash... and needless to say, Wilbur followed his nose. I'm just thankful the dining room was empty. Imagine the flood of outraged phone calls we would have received from the parents of all those traumatized students!

It didn't happen again.

We finally arrived home, turned up the heat, plugged in the space heater, and threw blankets over our confused pit bull. I have to say, as much as Wilbur may have enjoyed his adventure at the inn he's been happy to once again sleep in our Queen Size bed on the floor instead of falling out of the 'way up high' Double Size bed at the inn all night long.

Contemplating ways to get back into the dining room.



  1. Hey Laura! Long time...glad to see you and Hans and Wilbur all are doing well and enjoying (?) life in Pennsylvania. I try to read you blog whenever you post as I like to keep up-to-date on your latest happenings, and wanted to take this opportunity to say hi and wish y'all a Merry Christmas

    Lots going on here...Noah is in a sad shape. Recovering right now from a Splenectomy but the good news on that is no cancer. However, he is having MAJOR surgery right after Christmas to repair BOTH of his Patellar Tendons. We have no idea how he tore them; the orthopedic surgeon said that for a dog to tear one is extremely rare (in fact, so rare that there is virtually NO reference materials available in any of the veterinary medicine journals) but to tear both is unprecedented. Leave it to Noah! *sigh* This will involve repairing the tendons then fixing his knees in an unmovable position for 8 weeks! Which means I will have to lift him with his "help-me-up harness" to take him out to do his business. He hasn't been able to walk since two weeks before Thanksgiving and he will not be able to walk for 8 weeks after the surgery, so he's gonna have to "stand and drop" like a horse to poop. Yay, how fun! He weighs 60 pounds so at the end of these 8 weeks I will either have muscles like Popeye, or a broken back and need surgery myself. Oh, and after the 8 weeks, it's on to rehab. Good news is that he should be walking by the summer. All to the tune of about $22,000, too. There goes another vacation (and everything else,too)!

    I haven't been down to Florida in almost four years. Bryon and Bob just sold their house and are buying a condo in downtown St. Pete, so no more pool parties, either. But we hope to get down there late summer or early Fall and if y'all are back down, please get in touch (number is still the same). Would love to see you and Hans and Wilbur!

    Take good care and enjoy the holidays with your family and new grandbaby. How exciting!!!



    1. Cyndi, so good to hear from you!!! Poor Noah! His momma sure does love him.